Thursday, August 01, 2019

Parents have their own teen-like issues


ONE of the really frustrating mysteries of adult life for me has been why perfectly normal friends – if one can describe anyone that way – go a little more than crazy when their children reach teen years.
At the teenage stage, the young person who becomes the cause of a change in parental attitudes is
much too swamped with other questions to dwell much on the reason for a falling-out with parents.
In my case, for instance, at 16 I couldn’t stomach a change in attitudes, or a seeming change.
I simply ran away from it, from them, from home, and ran just as far as my Post Office bank deposits could take me.
Somehow Fortune must have been on my side for the town where the money ran out offered me work – a live-in job on a farm – the day I arrived, sparing me even one night on the street.
The question of that fall out then, and its equivalent now that friends suffer had remained unanswered.

Almost suicidal

Nowadays, it is astonishing how many friends with teenage youngsters become almost suicidal. And not just one or two friends, but so many, at least percentage-wise.  Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventuring book, Sailing to Purgatory, at http://sailingtopurgatory.com/index.php/feeds/425-parents-have-their-own-teen-like-issues

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home