Thursday, July 18, 2019

Get your life back. Give up TV!


I was pondering again on criticism the BBC still faces over the plan to stop giving away TV licenses to those who can afford it.
When the plan was announced, I was quick to point to some advantages from
the decision.
Why? Because the notion that that’s all there is in the lives of many elderly people really troubles me.
Each day’s routine: Get up, breakfast, watch TV, have lunch, watch TV and snooze. Then the evening meal and back to the box.

My neighbour!

Humans! Blessed with the most extraordinarily clever and adaptable brains, yet they let the contents of the box become the sum lot of the attention of their later lives!
And sad to report but a neighbour’s just like that. He’s in his eighties.
It seems that the remainder of his life is to be spent like that - shuffling between his huge TV, the bathroom and the bedroom. A commercial service answers kitchen needs.
My horror that this might be me one day is stoked by an article that landed in the inbox this morning…. Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventuring book, Sailing to Purgatory, at http://sailingtopurgatory.com/index.php/feeds/418-get-your-life-back-give-up-tv-working-on

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home