Thursday, July 04, 2019

Helping gogglebox oggling addicts


What a storm followed the BBC decision to stop TV licences for older viewers, and all criticisms written perhaps by TV addicts themselves who saw the gratis
viewing as compensation for the greying of their locks.
What does that say for their view of life?
And I wonder if the Beeb wasn't, isn't, actually doing humans a favour. I mean, is it really such a bad decision?
Look at the average oldie in the high street as they totter to their cars, and pant and shuffle around a supermarket.

An enormous favour?

Perhaps it's an enormous favour, for without the goggle box to oggle over, most might actually go out beyond their front doors and do a spot of exercising as they experience the real world.
  True, these thoughts come from one   who might certainly like to write for   television but has absolutely no wish   to watch.
Just the notion of sitting in front of a tv screen and staring seems akin to taking up a do-it-yourself course in losing it.
I'm about to type the question, why would anyone want to give up countless hours of their time, their reality, to stare at the box?
Of course, I can guess the answer. Passing the time, and not caring for their view of reality.
Until I asked Uncle Google, I confess I didn't know licences were so expensive - £154.50 a year, apparently.
Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventuring book, Sailing to Purgatory, at http://sailingtopurgatory.com/index.php/feeds/413-helping-gogglebox-oggling-addicts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home