Thursday, August 22, 2019

Amelia Earhart tells a wonderful story wonderfully


WHEN I BLOGGED THE OTHER DAY about the search for aviation pioneer Amelia Earheart and her crashed flight, I really didn’t expect to find anything that she had written.

I’m pleased to say there’s plenty out there. Just ask Google.
 My local library, the excellent Surbiton Library, had a copy of her ’20 hours, 40 minutes,’ and it is really well worth reading.
She comes across as a most pleasant person, modest and determined, and a human that didn’t fear changing the view back in last century’s twenties about what her gender could do.
And how she succeeded.

Falling in love

Her book shows her falling in love with aircraft – her descriptions of the various planes she encountered are well worth reading.
 She learned to fly and soon crossed oceans, going further and further … until a bit too far for the capability of aircraft back then.
There is plenty by her and about her online.
For an insight into this extraordinary human, this pioneering woman, her written words in ’20 hours, 40 minutes,’ are well worth consuming.
Back in my youth, I tried to fly. A young family friend in Central Otago, the son of sheep farmers, invited me to come out on his Tiger Moth. Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventuring book, Sailing to Purgatory, at
http://sailingtopurgatory.com/index.php/feeds/433-amelia-earhart-tells-a-wonderful-story-wonderfully

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home