Monday, November 13, 2017

What John's Dad did in the war


I’m about to discover what my dad did in the war, and Tuesday is the big day for discovery - seeing a film about his work. Today, good friend John Northcott, who lived just down the road in those crazy years, has been telling me of his own father’s wartime exploits.
John emailed from New Zealand, where he lives now, to reveal a gruesome scene that his father’s revealed. ‘He was stationed in Kent waiting to go on what he later called that invasion lark – D-Day. He embarked at the Port of London.
‘Apparently I saw part of it - the sky overhead suddenly became black with aircraft and my Mum knew it was the invasion so she rushed indoors, grabbed me from my cot and rushed back out again so I could see it.
‘Dad didn't land on D-Day, but when he arrived on an LCV at Asnelles, on the Normandy coast, with
his motor bike - a 500cc Norton - the beach was still under fire.
'Corporal 7684888 Basil Thomas Robert Northcott was part of the Corps of Military Police or as he always put it, the Provo Corps.
‘Some time before he died, he added personal recollections to a copy of Chronology of World War II by Christopher J. Argyle, in capital letters, in pencil, in the margins. I have the book.

Submerged shell-hole

‘For Thursday, June 22 1944, he notes that the landing craft went aground on the edge of a submerged shell-hole. The ramp lowered. First off was the regimental sergeant major’s jeep, which disappeared immediately.
‘My Dad notes that a very wet RSM was dragged back on board amid cheers. The craft backed off and this time landed successfully.’
John said, ‘However, Basil’s time there was far from fun. Here’s a photo of a knife he brought back, as sort of proof of the ugliness of war. … ‘
Continues of the blogs for my oceanic travel/adventure book, Sailing to Purgatory, here >>>> at SailingToPurgatory.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home