Thursday, March 21, 2019

Finding a poet's poet on Poetry Day


It's National Poetry Day and the gifted wordsmith I've choose to salute is brilliant Robert Graham, and his unique website, Healing Gardens.
 I first admired Roberto's poetry back in 2008 and was really impressed. With each new poem, I enjoy his unique creativity I've been running Healing Gardens for him ever since
his talent even more. To try to encourage
It's a difficult question for a man of words to answer, but even so I put it to him. 'Roberto,' I asked, 'which poem by another poet is your own favourite?'
I expected a pause but the answer came immediately - Siegfried Sassoon, and his Everybody Sang.
 Roberto said, 'I was impressed that Sassoon who emerged from the war with a damaged mind, later - when this poem was written - (soon after I think), found himself healed, at peace and able to feel joy again.
'I feel he really feels like the bird and the poem makes me feel like the bird, too. And it is a universal theme that the singing will never be done makes me like this poem so much, too.'
 Which of Roberto's own poems does he like best? I'll put the question to him tomorrow.
In the meantime, here is the gifted poet's favourite work by other poets, Siegfried Sassoon.

Everyone Sang

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must find in freedom,
Winging wildly across the white
Orchards and dark-green fields; on - on - …
Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventuring book, Sailing to Purgatory, at  http://sailingtopurgatory.com/index.php/feeds/366-finding-a-poet-s-poet-on-poetry-day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home