Tuesday, July 31, 2018

They promise better food prices - but when?


A moan today of behalf of householders who have in the popular phrase to watch their pennies. 
The seemingly never-ending rising of the food bill in the main supermarkets makes the discount supermarkets, Aldi and Lidl, popular.
As in the case in the case of my nearest Aldi, a good cycle ride distant, it has a lot to do also with pleasant attitude of staff.
However, if the meanest cashiers in the world had charge of the tills, we’d still frequent their stores were the prices favourable.

Prices set to drop?

We might as well accept that that’s the reason Sainsbury’s CEO Mike Coupe announced in May that their prices are set to drop by 10%.
However, I visited their king-size store in Kingston today for a grapefruit.
The prices remained unchanged and just as they have been for a long time - 50p (pale skin) or 55p (darker skin). Top of my shopping list, as it might be for a lot of former wine drinkers, was Sainsbury’s very pleasant grape juice. For a long time it’s been 85p.
Today is it bounced up to a pound. I’m qualified and experienced as an ocean navigator, though my maths is not great. However, I don’t have to get out a calculator to see that that is not exactly a 10% drop.
Mr Coupe, quoted by Management Today, declared only two months ago that Sainsbury’s merger with Asda would mean lower prices.

Boosting the Aldi appeal

Of course, in Britain for many people a rise of 15p is not set to break the bank. However, it goes against his word, and does mean that for me, and people who have to make ends meet, as it were, the attraction of Aldi is boosted. A carton of very pleasant orange juice, for instance, is 55p almost half the new Sainsbury’s price.
Just to emphasise: That article in May insists that the prices of everyday groceries will be cut by around 10%. Probably I should be more realistic: what do the fat cats care about prices really? If you’re in business management, for instance, the average salary is £37,500, reports Total Jobs.
However, being selfish for a moment, I’m not in management nor employed. I had saved up for retirement and was well prepared for it but then total and dishonest injustice - held in camera - stole everything.
When I emerged after eight years of the injustice, it seemed I’d be on the street. … Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventure book, Sailing to Purgatory, at SailingToPurgatory.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home