Monday, May 14, 2018

Calamity-free way to the web



We pay a fortune for WiFi at home. The supplier drills a hole through the wall to install a socket. It's over to you how you get your computer to link to the waiting magic, the wonder of the web.
A cable was my first choice and a cable does a good job. However, reposition your computer across the room, and the cable has to be stretched across the room, too.
Of course, visitors' feet somehow always find a way to trip over it, with all the likely risks to your setup, and to their balance.
Move it all to another room, which I like to do often, and you need a much longer cable and a safe way of getting it there.

Laptops use another way

After a few trips by visitors, it seemed another way – almost any other way – was vital.
But then laptops use another way. I asked a forum and Uncle Google for advice. The recommendation was a WiFi antenna which 'links' to your broadband. And a recommendation? A gadget by CSL-Computer of Germany, a USB 3.0 dual band WLan stick. The price? £26. I made my investment via Amazon, plugged it in, looking forward to accident-free web work. But it didn't work, wouldn't work.
The manufacturers didn't know why, put an expert on the job via the web. He made suggestions which I tried.
He couldn't understand why there was a problem. He sent a second, one that simply must work. It didn't. I offered to send it back to Germany. No, don't go the trouble, CSL said, keep it. We'll refund you, and they did right away.

Curiosity prompted me to try it

I replaced my ageing PC last week. I just happened to see the WiFi antenna abandoned in a drawer. Curiosity prompted me to try it on the new unit.
You can guess, I'm sure. It worked immediately – and at least seemed superior to a cable, and no more cables crossing rooms awkwardly, even semi-dangerously. Hooray! Then it was time for embarrassment. Only a few months ago, there I was assuring the company that it didn't work. I sent a thank you to Germany, asking for the address to refund the refund.
Ms Andrea Augstein-Rojas of CSL-Computer replied this morning, 'No need for that. We are just happy our product is working.'
Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventure book, Sailing to Purgatory, at SailingToPurgatory.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home