Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Bad luck if you're superstitious

On the first of the month, I woke a little after midnight and without thinking chanted, ‘White Rabbits!’
The pot plants looked rather startled. I wasn’t exactly focusing with night vision mode but somehow I felt it.
But declaring ‘White Rabbits’ to the ceiling?
As if proving that I must harbour considerable mental deficiency, I recalled that through life I had chanted that good luck phrase on the first day of every month through toddlerhood, and
   since school days on either side of the globe,
   on every sailing voyage that coincided with a first of a month, even on my circumnavigation near notorious Cape Horn,
   even in National Service training for Tricky Dickys devious war with Vietnam.
And why? Perhaps for a very similar reason that people begin and end their day with a prayer.
It’s what parents serve up to us long before we are able to reason. Tell a little child often that black is white, and he’ll never see it any other way. Continues on the blogs for my book Sailing to Purgatory, here ...

http://sailingtopurgatory.com/index.php/feeds/452-bad-luck-if-you-re-superstitious

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home