Wednesday, April 24, 2019

On day 198, brave Jeanne's going really well


Courageous Jeanne Socrates, the Brit solo circumnavigator on her stormy progress to win new round-the-world sailing awards, battles on through the Great Australian Bight.
Jeanne aims to set new records as the oldest woman to sail solo nonstop unassisted around the world, and the first woman to sail solo nonstop unassisted around the world from North America.
In this blog I wrote the other day, I feared she would have to endure some of the atrocious conditions I faced in that wild stretch of ocean.

Rogue wave

However, it looks as though Nature is treating Jeanne rather more kindly.
However, come Good Friday a following rogue wave overtook Nereida, smashing into the stern. Jeanne, 76, logged:
‘3:40am Good Friday: Just got pooped. A lot of water got below ... I got wet at chart table close to companionway. Computer and instruments OK, TG! Dry clothes (and me!) now a bit wet.’
 ‘The cockpit had a lot of water which took a time to drain away. I got wet at the chart table close to companionway, but the computer and instruments were OK, TG!
‘I got even wetter, with water gradually continuing to find its way below from above the hatch.

Lovely clean clothes!

So the lovely clean, dry clothes I'd put on just the other day were now very wet in places, along with my hair (again!)...
Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventuring book, Sailing to Purgatory, at
http://sailingtopurgatory.com/index.php/feeds/383-on-day-198-brave-jeanne-s-going-really-well

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home