Monday, April 23, 2018

Knots for the faint-hearted ... and brave


Watch someone tying a parcel or the laces of their shoes, and whether you are in Kensington or or Cornwall, Cape Town or Krakow, the knot of choice will almost always be the wrong one.
How can it happen? What strange human influence is it that seems to prompt people to tie a granny knot when they could be shaping a reef knot? Could it be Satan at work?
The difference between the two is really important. The granny knot will come undone at the least provocation, yet once tight, be very difficult to undo.
The reef knot, just a slight change of direction on the second turn, will stay faithful to our needs.

The simple formula

Yet undoing it is the simplest thing. The formula for the correct knot couldn't be simpler - ask any Scout, or any sailor.
Left over right, right over left. Or the opposite combination.
But left over right, then left over right again? No! Never.
I met a fellow online today who would NEVER get it wrong, and nor does he get his advanced and really challenging and beautiful knots wrong either.
Mac Mackenzie of Sydney, Australia, exhibits his perfect and beautiful skill online at Facebook's gifted Ropework Group.

Mac's flare

Where did Mac's flare for this never-a-granny-knot skill come from? 'As a thirteen year old I was taken by my mother to visit HMS Victory in Portsmouth. I loved the rigging.
'In the souvenir shop, dead-centre on a little stand was a copy of ABOK (The Ashley Book of Knots.) I didn't get it that day but it 'spoke' to me :).
'My mother bought it for my 14th birthday present (40 years ago) and I've loved it ever since.
'From that day on the Victory I've been fascinated by knots.'
How my late sailing mate Ron Pell, an astonishing tier of knots himself, would also have admired Mac's skill.
So the appreciated regular visitors to my blog won't ever granny knot again, the chemistry is this ... (Now say after me ...)
Continues on the blogs for my ocean adventure book, Sailing to Purgatory, at SailingToPurgatory.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home